Just a random blog with things I love to make or redo for friends, family and around the house!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sunburst Mirror and Chevron Things




I did lots of crafting this week so here you go:


Here's the before valance I had on the kitchen windows that I did for VERY cheap when we moved here.  I needed an update but didn't want to spend any money.




All I did was get painters tape, leftover wall paint and white fabric I had.  I laid out the painters tape about every 4 cm and then painted with a small roller.  Let it dry, sew the top so it can attach to the rod and hung! 

Sunburst Mirror



The sunburst mirror was made by buying a mirror from Hobby Lobby and using bamboo skewers I bought at Wal-Mart for a dollar.  I hot glued them on the opposite side of mirror and spray painted them metallic silver.  



I'm finally done with the painted chevron rug.  I used a Home Depot drop cloth, chevron pattern I cut out with carboard, painters tape and a quart of red wall paint.  It took forever just because of the chevron pattern.  I put polyurethane on it so it would be dirt free (it's supposed to protect it from stains but I think I needed to put another coat of it on....it soaked up a quart of polyurethane so I didn't go back to the store to buy more.)


I bought chevron fabric from fabric.com and put a Home Depot drop cloth on bottom of the fabric.  I sewed the edges under and then hot glued a rug stopper to the bottom so it wouldn't slide everywhere.  I then gave 3 coats of polyurethane (water based) on the chevron fabric so it would resist mud, etc that our dogs like to track in.  I made a red and black rug for the kitchen and I'm in the process of making one more for the sink area. 




No comments:

Post a Comment